• 9/4/12

651: The Tap is Dirty

Tuesday (feels like a Monday) and we discuss Clint, heaven (hell), Labor Day and…Nazis.

This episode of The Mike O’Meara Show is a service of Northern Virginia Community College’s Workforce Development Division. Like ‘em on Facebook!

15 Comments on 651: The Tap is Dirty

1. John says:

Atheism isn’t a belief system, stop saying that.

• Mike says:

Couldn’t agree more. What Atheism is is a lack of a belief in a deity. That’s the literal definition. Please remember, I don’t believe there isn’t a god. What I believe is that there is just no evidence that there is one (or more as the case may be). It’s too easily thrown about that we Atheists “believe there isn’t a god”. It’s like saying that “evolution is only a theory”. It simply shows a lack of understanding of the subject. Sorry to be so negative, I just don’t believe I ever really get a fair chance to explain Atheism (or even agnosticism- like my wife believes) to people as all they do is shout it down with ignorance.

• Mike says:

Hmm… Shouldn’t have used the term “believe” in reference to my wife and myself. I just got a little worked up there. Have concluded, or wonders would be a little more accurate. I got a touch worked up there, and didn’t choose my words correctly. Oops.

2. Larry Fine says:

Excellent opening segment! I don’t care what anyone else says, they’re always more entertaining when you don’t plan ahead or think of clever, witty things to say.

Just make it up on the fly and let your comedy instincts find the gold as you slog through.

Beautifully done!

3. Paul S says:

Gotta agree with John on this one. Calling atheism a belief system is a common mistake. Atheism is a lack of belief in God or gods. That’s it. Lack of belief in something is not a belief in and of itself. All you have to do is substitute atheism with something else you don’t believe in. For example, not believing in unicorns doesn’t mean that that non-belief is a belief system, right?

• Geoff G says:

in addition, you can’t “prove” something doesn’t exist. I can’t say god doesn’t exist, just as I can’t say unicorns don’t exist. There is just no evidence for them

• Brian says:

I wish Buzz had been there for the Atheism conversation. I think he wouldn’t have let the comments pass unchallenged.

• Human Chorionic Gonatrophin says:

Of course you can. The presence of a full-grown elephant in the palm of my hand or my colon, take your pick, does not exist.

Neither does a belief system called atheism.

• Pete from Kanada says:

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

4. I am....tired of that lame joke says:

Bugs Bunny? Really?

5. Fred says:

Atheism is an affirmative belief/declaration. Agnosticism says you just plain don’t know. Get it right, Pilgrim.

6. Human Chorionic Gonatrophin says:

John’s right. Atheism isn’t a belief system.

I bet Horny Bob Spewak doesn’t call it a “scoot”. FACE!

7. Chris DeSantis says:

It was nice to meet you and Carla this weekend at JOTT. I promised I’d find your podcast online and here I am! Now I’m hooked. After listening to you since 1985, it’s like coming home. Great show!